You even can seek compensation if the person committing the act hasn’t been charged or even caught.
Even though the process can be complicated and take a long time, LITKRAFT explain how the system works and help you to make a claim.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IMMEDIATELY AFTER CRIMINAL INJURY
- You should report any crime against you to the Police and obtain the Police Incident number
- Take the contact details of any witnesses of the crime.
- Go to the hospital or GP. Even if no medical treatment is needed, the doctor will record your injuries and this will help during claim process.
- Some injuries may not be immediately apparent as shock and adrenalin can hide symptoms. Therefore, seek medical assistance if you start to feel pain later.
- Keep all receipts for any medical expenses, as you might be able to claim these back.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR COMPENSATION?
You might be eligible for criminal injury compensation if:
- You were the victim of a violent crime.
- You were not to blame in any way for the incident.
- You sustained an injury whilst taking reasonable steps to stop a crime.
- You were psychologically injured by witnessing a loved one falling victim to violent crime, or by the aftermath of such an event.
- You are a relative of someone who has died as a result of violent crime.
YOU CAN GET COMPENSATION FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- mental or physical injury following a crime of violence;
- sexual or physical abuse;
- loss of earnings;
- special expenses payments;
- payments for loss of parental services and financial dependency;
- funeral payments and bereavement payments.
WHO CAN CLAIM COMPENSATION:
- Spouse or partner, providing you were living together at the time
- Natural or adoptive parents or parental guardian
- The child of a victim
WHEN YOU SHOULD START A CRIMINAL INJURY CLAIM?
You must apply as soon as it is possible for you to do so. But, you have two years after the injury to start a compensation appeal. However, if you suffered abuse as a child this may be wavered.
WHAT LITKRAFT WILL NEED FROM YOU
To start your case, we will need to know the following:
- the date of the accident, where and how it happened;
- the contact details for any witnesses;
- the details of your injuries, medical diagnosis and treatment;
- proof of your loss of earnings and other financial expenses which are the result of your injury;
- any documents that can be used to support your claim.
Keep a full record of any expenses you incur as a result of your accident. This may include the cost of medical treatment, travel involved in obtaining medical treatment, and even costs incurred by your family travelling to visit you whilst you recover.
IF YOU WERE REJECTED BY OTHER LAWYERS
Even if you were let down somewhere else, contact us and we will do our best to get what you deserve.
Call LITKRAFT now on 020 8501 7744 and start your claim. Our office is open between 8 am and 6 pm – Monday to Friday and 9 to 15:00 on Saturday.